This is the John Twitchell House, built sometime before 1741. At this house, the original meeting of the Oxford Congregational Church was held.
In 1804 it was a store and a Masonic Lodge was organized here.
This house was the site of the first Oxford Post Office when Walker Wilmot was appointed postmaster in 1807.
Built by John Twitchell, it was later owned by Job and Daniel Candee, brothers, who served in the American Revolution. The Candee brothers built a number of homes in Oxford, One of them is now known as the Oxford House Restaurant.